Thursday, May 8, 2008

Odds and Ends

What do you do with an area of your yard you HATE to mow? The grass in this area is so thick and weedy that it's nearly impossible to mow. I don't like the idea of using weed killer (we're all on wells out here), so I decided to try my hand at a children's garden. Colin really wanted a "maze" going through it. I'm planting a bit at a time, as time allows. We have big plans, though, including a sunflower house, gourds, and flowers that attract butterflies and hummingbirds. I'm not much of a gardener, so it's a real experiment for us. We may discover that we are just planting deer food, but I don't hate the idea of seeing the deer more often!
Here is the beginning of it:
Here's Colin at the playground where our homeschool group meets:

One of the salamanders we caught recently (all have been released):

A single tulip that makes it's appearance every spring since we moved in. The people we bought the house from say they never saw it, and never planted it. I guess it just likes us!

Daffodils in the sun:

No comments: